In a once wooded valley the wild, wonderful and wacky is about to happen! Friday 19 September - Sunday 21 September, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire Signdance Collective presents High Wyrrd International dance, theatre, music and art showcase on the streets of High Wycombe
High Wyrrd Is Signdance Collective's International Performance and Visual Art Showcase. SDC has invited many of its favourite artists and collaborators from Europe, USA, South America and the U.K to join them in their hometown, High Wycombe. This is the company's first ever showcase, and the line up is exciting, challenging, with top quality new work from street theatre, dance, signdance, music, film, and visual artists.
Friday 19 September
- Frogmoor Festival, 12pm
- Signdance Collective and The Luke Barlow Band with excerpts of 'But Beautiful' The Art Pepper Show. Jazz and Signdance combine to celebrate the influence of the late great alto saxophonist Art Pepper.
- The Guildhall Undercroft, 7pm
- Preshow opens with 'Taste the Art' 30 minutes Carovana SMI Street Dance. International dancers, actors and musicians are sold for cheap, and audiences are welcome to bid for their favourite artist. Dancers use the area around the Guildhall to entice and persuade the public, live music infuses the streets with a sense of anticipation.
- The Guildhall Undercroft, 7.30 - 8.30pm
Signdance Collective present 'Travelling', directed by Ornella D' Agostino with music by Liran Donin. The story of how it is to live a life of constantly crossing boundaries - geographical and physical boundaries as well as existential boundaries. How does the movement of people around the world, as tourists, migrants, or as artists, affect indigenous communities? How does political conflict affect the traveller? What does it feel like to live the nomadic lifestyle of the artist?
High Street and Eden Shopping Centre, 11am-12pm
- Hugo The Clown from Argentina Street interventions
- One of the sweetest and naughtiest clowns we know! Stay to watch him work and join him around town to see what he gets up to with the public!
- High Street and Eden Shopping Centre, 12-12.30pm
- The Cleaning Ladies from Slovenia
- These ladies have an air of 'different' about them, we thought they could help our little town stay nice and polished. Street Theatre at its funniest and very best.
- High Street and Eden Shopping Centre, 2-3pm
- Hugo The Clown
- All Saints Church Yard, 2-3.30pm
- Signdance Collective are pleased to present a range of new inclusive physical theatre and dance artists who tour locally, nationally and internationally. Oxfordshire's Anjali, Doorways Dance group and Jigsaw from Aylesbury. The afternoon is rounded off by the magnificent Deaf dancer, Antoine Hunter from San Francisco, USA.
- Eden Shopping centre, 3.30-4pm
- Signdance Collective's David Bower presents 'Listen'. Be immersed in a cloth of sound and images based on David's experience of tinnitus.
- Frogmoor Ana Monro Theatre, 4.30-5pm
- The Cleaning Ladies
- Covered market area, 5-5.50pm
- The Luke Barlow Band. The best of new jazz from London.
Sunday 21 September
- Frogmoor, 12.30-1pm
- High Wycombe's Drumojo Samba Band. Sit in the local cafe and enjoy the music, or sit down on the ground and have some delicious Caribbean food.
- Frogmoor, 1-2pm
- SDC's International partners Kultuur Werkstaat from Graz, Austria. Christian Jabornig brings his inclusive performance group to High Wyrrd with a clown and dance show. Solo performance by San Franciscan Antoinne Hunter.
- Frogmoor, 2.15-3pm
- Hugo The Clown presents 'The Big Show' Families are particularly welcome to join the fun from this magical and extraordinary clown.
- Frogmoor, 3.15-4pm
- Ana Monro Theatre Presents 'The Golden Ass'
- European style street theatre; exceptionally funny, with a warmth and humour rarely seen. The Golden Ass tells the tale of Lucius who uses witchcraft to enable him to fly, but instead turns himself into an ass. As an ass he learns to become human, and a better human than he ever was. Slovene Ministry of Culture, Ljubljana City Council funded. For ages 12+
- Frogmoor, 4.15-5pm
- Drumojo the Samba and our Paralympian gold medallist, John Harris. Meet the athlete and enjoy the band in celebration of the launch for the Cultural Olympiad Projects 2012!
- Swan Theatre Gallery Art Exhibition, 5pm
- Join the artists for the opening of the Art Exhibition by Artist Esther Appleyard High Wyrrd's resident visual artist's reflection through a new work by the late sculptor Adam Reynolds 1959-2006. Bar open.
For a review of Three Films plus One go to www.disabilityartsonline.org/site/signdance_three_films_plus_one
For Press enquiries please contact Signdance Collectiive directly on 00447887974684 or email signdancecollective[at]gmail.com
1-10 November 2008 Signdance Collective is in Tunisia working with CAROVANA SMI plus several French & Italian promoters working on the Company's International Profile , and extending the company's work into Africa and the Far East.
11-17 November 2008 Penn School Residency , plus meetings with regional dance companies , photographers visual artists dancers including Rob Walker, Esther Appleyard, Chisato Minamimura and Claire Louise West plus a series of interviews London & S.E -based writers and journalists.
15 -16 November 2008 The Boroughs of Kensingtoon & Chelsea with Signdance Collective present the SignWeave Project (Seasonal signdance in London!) Prt 1 Please contact Signdance Collective for details on email@example.com
30 November - 13 December 2008 The Hunch Back of Notre Dame, David Bower Signdance Collective's Artistic Director collaborates with Graeae and BBC Radio 4
Radio Four: Classic Serials Episode one Sunday 30 November, 3pm repeats on Saturday 6 December, 9pm Episode two Sunday 7 December at 3pm repeats on Saturday 13 December, 9pm
2 December 2008 Collaboration Exploration with Sarah Pickthall and Signdance Collective . 'En mi silla yo me siento ...confortable'
5-6 December 2008 New Wycombe Arts Centre Pre-Opening with Alex Ward Dead Ends & Beyond + Three Films + One (The Words & Travelling). Please see www. wycombenetwork for details of performances or contact Signdance Collective
28 December - 2 Jan 2009 Tunisia Performances of Three Films + One (Travelling and Here listen, Miramar Resort with Frognall (Signdance Collective takes over the new Year!)
2-20 February 2009 Residency & performances of Three Films + One(Travelling & Here) India / Bangalore with film-maker Kirtana Kumar
24 February 2009 Travelling Swan Theatre University of Wycombe Creative Arts Conference
6 March 2009 Aylesbury Twon Hall Performance of LISTEN Three Films + One Hosted by Gigsaw Theatre Company
7-18 March 2009 Thessalonikii School For Deaf Young People Residency & Shows
April 2009 Regional S.E England Touring Plus Driving Inspiration project with Creative Bucks Dates TBA
For further details go to www.signdancecollective.co.uk